Music, Learning & the Brain, Why all Academics Should be Taught Through Music
Date and Location:
Dates: October 13, 2012
Time: 9:00am - 1:00 pm
Location: Regent University Classroom Building, CRB 227
Directions: For Directions and Maps click here
Lodging: We understand that some workshop, seminar, and conference participants will be traveling to attend our events. To assist you in locating lodging information please click here.
Note: Childcare is available for ages 4 and up.
(Please do not bring children under age 4)
Childcare Release Form>> Coming Soon
Participation Release Form>> Coming Soon
Open to the Public with Registration
Attendees will learn how to “turn on” their students’ brains in order to effectively deliver information for processing, application and long term storage. Not only will the left & right hemisphere dominances be explained, but attendees will learn how to assess their family members & students. Sensory Dominance profiles will be explained, participants will have their profile defined and learn how to determine their student’s profiles in order to expedite learning to make it EFFORTLESS no matter the subject area.
The brain activity which happens during music, singing & moving will be explored and the physical reactions of the brain to stimuli will be shown. We will site many studies, present scientific research and it’s definitive conclusions in order to explain why & how GOD hardwired the brain to learn large amounts of material quickly and effortlessly through music. Students’ who have special education needs are addressed, students with gifted abilities are satisfied and average students excel using music as the delivery system for academic information. Interactive and entertaining, everything in this workshop is immediately applicable to the classroom.
Teachers pre K – 12, school principals, guidance counselors, Sunday school teachers, educational therapists, anyone involved in any way with education, parents
- Attendees will learn how to best prepare their student’s brains to receive information
- The workshop will teach why we must know & understand the dramatic difference between left & right brain hemisphere learning styles and how to approach students who are their learning opposites
- Attendees will acquire the ability to TOTALLY change their students’ attitudes and learning abilities in only a few minutes using music, singing and moving
- Attendees will be able to use movements taught in the workshop to physiologically remove “learning roadblocks” in the brain as well as create detours in their students’ brains to reach the goal of understanding, retention & application
- Attendees will be able to explain to others why singing educational information is the best delivery system for learning
- Attendees will learn how to teach everything from the days of the week to advanced chemistry formulas through music
- Analyze their own as well as their student’s Sensory Dominance profiles
- Discuss why learning academic information through music is highly successful & effective
- Summarize what happens in the brain when singing and learning
- Describe why emotions play such a major role in learning
- Apply learning academics through music into their classroom
- List numerous studies of music’s affects on the brain
- Explain why emotions must be engaged for learning to occur
- Describe the tremendous impact music has on the entire person, spirit, mind and body and why it (music) is the BEST delivery system for learning
- Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain by Dr. Carl Sacks
- Your Child’s Growing Mind, by Dr. Jane M .Healey, M. D.
- Numerous studies by leading neuroscientists, educational therapists from UCLA, The Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Harvard & Princeton Universities, etc.
- Sensory Dominances, by Neuroscientist Dr. Carla Hannaford, M.D.
- Theory of Multiple Intelligences, Dr. Howard Gardner
- Your Baby Can Read, Dr. Glen Doman
9:45 – 10:15 Fill in the blank workbook which goes along with the lecture explaining what happens in the brain during music & learning. Attendees will be singing & learning the Bill of Rights!
10:15 – 10:30 break
10:30 – 11:15 Complete the fill in the blank workbook full of scientific studies on aforementioned topics
11:15 – 11:30 Performance of preschool & elementary students singing the States & capitols, presidents in order, Bill of Rights, Preamble to the U. S. Constitution and the Periodic Table of the Elements
11:30 – 11:45 Break
11:45 – 12:30 Demonstration group of elementary & middle school aged children to be taught education material through singing by Virginia Largent while attendees observe
12:30 – 12:45 Q & A and there are usually many
12:45 – 1:00 “buffer time” to allow for introduction, any special momentary guest speaker, just built in time so rushing isn’t necessary.
Virginia Deal Largent
- Honor graduate of the Conservatory at Shenandoah University, Bachelor of Music, Piano Pedagogy, 1990
- Founder & Director of the Virginia Beach School of the Arts – current enrollment exceeding 650 students annually and 18 faculty members
- Acadamiacs, author and creator, Acadamiacs is a collection of over 2000cademic educational songs that covers and exceeds the requirements for grades K – 12. Perfect for integration in the public, private school or homeschool classroom, Acadmiacs is the perfect delivery system tool for students of all ages, giftings and special needs in all subject areas
- Author & Creator of “Baby School” – reverse engineering of education for the human brain under 3 ( after 6 months of attendance, children under 36 months of age will know reading, fractions, addition & subtraction facts of 10, presidents in order states & capitols, planets, US & world geography, all the multiplication tables, spelling, sign language & more).
- Curriculum development for Preschool for the Arts, Music Mommy & Me, Baby School, Academics, preschool for the Arts
• 1990 honor graduate from the Conservatory at Shenandoah University,
• Founder & director of the Virginia Beach School of the Arts, 1998
• over the last 24 years have taught thousands of children ages 4 months to adult Acadamiacs, piano, violin, French, Music Theory
• Speaker, demonstrator & clinician to Va Dept of Ed, private & public school faculties & student bodies
• Most of all one who loves children and the art of teaching!
Please note, to ensure the best experience, this event has limited registrations available. We cannot guarantee seats will be available for registrations the day of the event. Please register early to ensure you will be able to attend. Government agencies unable to register/pay online should contact: email@example.com
Professional/ General Registration
Current Regent University Student
You may pay by credit/debit card or by eCheck (EFT). (Please review our Returned eCheck policy)
Card Payments Accepted: Master Card, Visa, Discover, & Debits Cards backed by MasterCard, Visa, or Discover.
Web address: http://www.regent.edu/psychology/ce
Toll Free: 800.373.5504
Director of Professional and Continuing Education
Professional and Continuing Education Program
School of Psychology & Counseling
1000 Regent University Dr.
Virginia Beach, VA 23464