Educational Specialist in Educational Leadership with a concentration in Special Education
Online Degree Overview
- Joy Golston
Special Ed Coordinator
Hampton City Schools
Regent Graduate, 2007
The goal of the Educational Specialist degree program is to prepare educational leaders with the skills and knowledge that promote the success of all students through a shared vision of learning with the school community. Effective school leaders develop a positive educational culture, a safe and effective learning setting, collaborative community partnerships, and focus on learning and student achievement — including those with special needs. The Ed.S. curriculum provides knowledge and preparation in the areas of supervision, research, laws and regulations, classroom management, instruction, assessment, teaming and budget for both the general and special education populations and leads to an optional add-on Administration and Supervision endorsement. A focus on special education, a component of the core curriculum, is an integral part of this program. Utilizing strong and experienced faculty that have a background in leadership and special education, our Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) approved program will equip leaders for 21st century schools.
Specialist in Educational Leadership Highlights:
Courses: View Educational Specialist Course Sequence & Descriptions
Results: Educational Specialist in Educational Leadership with a concentration in Special Education degree and an optional add-on Administration and Supervision endorsement
Length: 34 credit hours minimum. May be completed in as little as 18 months.
Format: Delivered entirely online. Students may begin the program in the fall, spring or summer semester.
Features: Through this program students may obtain the Virginia Administration and Supervision K-12 endorsement. All students must meet state requirements for the add-on endorsement. The required internship must be completed in an accredited public or private school under the mentorship of a licensed and practicing school administrator. Students interested in becoming principals or assistant principals must take and pass the School Leaders Licensure Assessment Test (SLLA). A SLLA preparation course is also offered.
Important Links: Apply Now | Tuition & Financial Aid | Faculty |Course Schedule | Resources
The Educational Specialist in Educational Leadership with a concentration in Special Education will prepare you for leadership positions throughout K-12 education for both the public and private setting. Individuals pursuing the Administration & Supervision endorsement will be prepared for positions as principals, vice principals or central office employees in the public school setting.
Specialist in Educational Leadership graduates will be able to:
- Evaluate and promote the success of all students by facilitating the development, articulation, implementation, and stewardship of a vision of learning that is shared and supported by the school community.
- Evaluate and promote the success of all students by advocating, nurturing, and sustaining a school culture and instructional program conducive to student learning and staff professional growth.
- Evaluate and promote the success of all students by ensuring management of the organization, operations, and resources for a safe, efficient, and effective learning environment.
- Evaluate and promote the success of all students by collaborating with families and community members, responding to diverse community interests and needs, and mobilizing community resources.
- Evaluate and promote the success of all students by acting with integrity, fairness, and in an ethical manner.
- Evaluate and promote the success of all students by understanding, responding to, and influencing the larger political, social, economic, legal, and cultural context.
- Solve problems associated with planning, administration, policy, and professional practice by
- analyzing data;
- synthesizing information; and
- applying critical thinking
- Apply the Virginia Department of Education competencies and skills required for state licensure.
- Exhibit advanced writing skills using APA Format.
- Demonstrate integrity, fairness, and ethical behavior in a Christ-like manner in planning, administration, policy development, problem solving, and professional practice.