Application Process - Special Education (M.Ed.)
Scroll down to review each portion of the application process, or use the links below to go directly to a specific step.
- Step 1: Application
- Step 2: Application Fee
- Step 3: Official Transcripts
- Step 4: Recommendations (One from current employer)
- Step 5: Resume
- Step 6: Writing Sample
- Step 7: VCLA & Praxis I Scores
- Step 8: Admissions Interview
Note: FBI Background Check: An FBI background check is now required for individuals to fulfill practicum requirements during the program. The FBI background often takes several months to process and complete. Please be sure to begin this process as soon as possible to ensure practicum hours can be completed in a timely manner. Learn more>>
Submit your application using our Regent University Online Application.
Note: If you are unable to complete our application due to a disability, please contact our Admissions Office and an admissions representative will provide reasonable accommodations to assist you in completing the application.
Option 1: Pay the $50 application fee online during the application process, via our Miscellaneous Payments Form, or by check or money order mailed to Regent University, Enrollment Support Services, 1000 Regent University Drive, Virginia Beach, VA 23464.
Option 2: Attend a Graduate School of Education on-campus or online information session to learn how to streamline your application process, discover financial aid resources, and waive your $50 application fee. RSVP Today!
An official transcript from each institution you have attended is required. We are excited to offer you the service of requesting transcripts on your behalf using our Transcript Request Form.
* Please be aware that it usually takes about one month to process a Transcript Request Form and receive a transcript from the issuing institution. However, it may take longer in some situations. It is ultimately the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that all transcripts are received by Regent University. With this timeline in mind, we do not suggest using this service within one (1) month of a term start date unless you have submitted unofficial transcripts in addition to your Transcript Request Form.
Submit our Online Recommendation Forms to provide us with contact information for each of your recommendations. We will use this information to contact each recommender and provide them with the appropriate recommendation form.
Provide a professional résumé of employment and accomplishments, including copies of published materials. Email to email@example.com or fax to 757.352.4147.
Writing samples are evaluated using the ETS Criterion Service. Please submit your writing sample using the directions below.
- Start at the following webpage: http://criterion.ets.org.
- Click “Go to Criterion Student Website” (in blue at the bottom of the page).
- Click “Register (I am a new user)” and enter your access ID and password.
- Access ID: Semester and year you are applying (no spaces, no capitalization). For example “fall2010”
- Password: education
- Click “Continue”.
- Create a User Name and Password.
- Click “Create Registration”. You will then be redirected to your home page.
- Choose one of the three writing sample topics provided. You will be provided with the question pertaining to the topic you choose once you begin the timer for the essay.
- Read the instructions for submitting your essay. Please keep in mind that you have 40 minutes to complete your writing sample. You will receive a warning when there are 10 minutes remaining on the timer.
- Click “Continue” and begin typing your writing sample.
***The font used by ETS is different than that used by word. Some functions, such as the Tab, are disabled. If a function is disabled just continue with your essay. Do not try to compensate for the disabled function or your essay will be marked with errors by ETS (i.e.: do not press the space bar 5 times for a Tab, just don’t Tab).***
The following assessments meet the requirement for the prescribed test for entry into a Virginia teacher preparation program. Please choose from one of the following options and submit passing scores directly to Regent University. Regent ETS code: 5135.
- Option 1: Passing the Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment (VCLA) (Reading and Writing) individually or with a composite score of 470 AND passing the Praxis I-Mathematics individually with a score of 178.
- Option 2: Passing the Praxis I (Reading, Writing, Mathematics). The Praxis I qualifying scores are Reading 178, Writing 176, Math 178 or Composite of 532.
- Option 3: Qualifying SAT or ACT scores
- The VDOE board has approved the following scores:
- SAT taken prior to April 1, 1995 -- a scores of 1000 on the SAT, with at least 450 on the verbal and 510 on the mathematics test,
- SAT taken after April 1, 1995 -- a score of 1100 on the SAT, with at least 530 on the verbal and 530 on the mathematics test.
- ACT taken prior to April 1, 1995 -- a composite score of 21 with the ACT mathematics score no less than 21 and an ACT English Plus Reading score no less than 37.
- ACT taken after April 1, 1995 -- a composite score of 24 with the ACT mathematics score no less than 22 and an ACT English Plus Reading score no less than 46.
- You may request your scores to be sent to Regent via the following sites.
- The VDOE board has approved the following scores:
If an interview is necessary, the admissions office will contact you to schedule an appointment. The interview can be conducted on-campus or over the phone and typically takes about an hour.