Application Process - Career Switcher
Scroll down to review each portion of the application process, or use the links below to go directly to a specific step.
- Step 1: Application
- Step 2: Official Transcripts
- Step 3: Writing Sample
- Step 4: VDOE Application and Report on Experience
- Step 5: Praxis II & VCLA Scores
- Step 6: Admissions Interview
- Important Information - Background Check
Note: Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution and five years of professional work experience required.
*Additional pieces may be required by the admissions committee.
Submit your application using our Regent University Online Application. Pay the $50 application fee online during the application process.
Note: If you are unable to complete our application due to a disability, please contact our Admissions Office and an admissions representative will provide reasonable accommodations to assist you in completing the application.
Fee Waiver: Attend a graduate School of Education on-campus or online information session to learn how to streamline your application process, discover financial aid resources, and waive your $50 application fee. RSVP Today!
An official transcript indicating successful completion of a bachelor's degree program is required. We are excited to offer you the service of requesting transcripts on your behalf using our Transcript Request Form*. Additional transcripts may be requested on a case-by-case basis.
* Please be aware that it usually takes about one month to process a Transcript Request Form and receive a transcript from the issuing institution. However, it may take longer in some situations. It is ultimately the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that all transcripts are received by Regent University. With this timeline in mind, we do not suggest using this service within one (1) month of a term start date unless you have submitted unofficial transcripts in addition to your Transcript Request Form.
Writing samples are evaluated using the ETS Criterion Service. Please submit your writing sample using the directions below.
- Visit http://criterion.ets.org.
- Click "Create Account."
- Fill in your account information (Access Code: 26KP - QM6A).
- Click "Submit."
- Click "OK."
- Fill in your new User Name and Password under "Returning User."
- Click "Sign In."
- Click "School of Education" under "Classes."
- Choose the "Assignments" tab.
- Choose one of the three writing sample topics provided by clicking on "Start Response." You will be provided with the question pertaining to the topic once you begin the timer for the essay.
- Click "OK" to acknowledge you are ready to begin your writing sample.
- Read the instructions for submitting your essay. Please keep in mind that you have 40 minutes to complete your writing sample and the timer begins as soon as you click "Start Response." You will receive a warning when there are 10 minutes remaining on the timer.
Submit VDOE Career Switcher Application and Report on Experience Forms
- Download the Virginia Department of Education Career Switcher Application and mail to the address below
Enrollment Support Services
1000 Regent University Drive
Virginia Beach, VA 23464
Arrange to have official Praxis II and VCLA scores sent directly to Regent University. Regent ETS code: 5135.
- For more information or to register for the Praxis visit www.ets.org
- For more information or to register for the VCLA, visit www.va.nesinc.com*
*Preparation for the VCLA: http://www.longsdalepub.com/vcla-test.html
If an interview is necessary, the admissions office will contact you to schedule an appointment. The interview can be conducted on-campus or over the phone and typically takes about 20 minutes.
Background Check: In addition other program requirements, there are several requirements that students in initial licensure programs must satisfy because the program includes direct contact with students in field experiences. One of these requirements is a background check. Regent University School of Education has entered into an agreement with Certified Background/Castle Branch (CB), a private vendor that conducts background checks for many universities and educational institutions. After you are admitted into the program, you will be provided instructions to set up an online profile with Certified Background and request your background check. Learn more>>
First Aid, CPR, AED Training: Documentation that verifies completion of certification or training in emergency first aid, cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), and the use of automated external defibrillators (AED). The certification or training program shall be based on the current national evidence-based emergency cardiovascular care guidelines for cardiopulmonary resuscitation and the use of an automated external defibrillator, such as a program developed by the American Heart Association or the American Red Cross.
Note: All items submitted as part of the application process become the property of Regent University and cannot be returned.