Associate Professor of Church History
- Ph.D., The Open University (UK)/St. John' College (Nottingham)
- M.A., Church of God Theological Seminary
- B.S., Winthrop University
- Church History and Renewal 1
- Church History and Renewal 2
- Healing in the Christian Tradition
- Women in Christian and Pentecostal History
I would welcome working with doctoral students in these and related areas.
- Healing Theology and Practice
- Pentecostal Theology and History
- Wesleyan Theology and History
- 19th Century Holiness and Healing Movements
- Women in Holiness-Pentecostal History
- Christian Practices
- Missional Church
Encyclopedia, Journal Articles and Book Chapters
“Our Congregations” in Portrait and Prospect: Church of God Pastors in the 21st Century, James P. Bowers, ed. Cleveland, TN: Center for Pentecostal Leadership and Care, 2004.
- “Pentecostal Healing at the Mission” in The Azusa Street Revival and its Legacy , Harold Hunter and Cecil M. Roebuck, eds. Cleveland, TN: Pathway Press, 2006.
- “’The Almost Pentecostal’: The Future of the Church of God in the United States” in The Future of Pentecostalism in the United States, Eric Patterson and Edmond Rybarczyk, eds., Lanham, MD: Rowman and Littlefield, 2007.
- “Boundless Love Divine: A Re-Evaluation of Early Understandings of the Experience of Spirit Baptism” in Passover, Pentecost & Parousia: Studies in Celebration of the Life and Ministry of R. Hollis Gause, S. J. Land, R. D. Moore, J. C. Thomas, eds. Blandford Forum, Dorset: Deo,2010.
- “Under the Authority of the Word and In Response to the Spirit: The Written Work and Worship of R. Hollis Gause” in Passover, Pentecost & Parousia: Studies in Celebration of the Life and Ministry of R. Hollis Gause, S. J. Land, R. D. Moore, J. C. Thomas, eds. Blandford Forum, Dorset: Deo, 2010.
- “Restoration, Accommodation and Innovation: The Contributions of Aimee Semple McPherson” in From Aldersgate to Azusa Street: Wesleyan, Holiness and Pentecostal Visions of the New Humanity, An Interdisciplinary Approach, Henry H. Knight, ed. Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock, 2010.
- “A Baptism of Divine Love: The Pentecostal Experience of Spirit Baptism” in Re-Thinking Wesleyan Theology, Nathan Crawford, ed. Eugene, OR: Pickwick Publications, forthcoming.
- “Spirit-Filled Healing Ministry in the 21st Century: From Healing Homes to the City of Faith and Beyond”, with Thomson K. Mathew in Spirit Empowered Christianity in the 21st Century, Vinson Synan, ed. Charisma House, 2011.
- “The Pentecostal Healing Community” in Toward a Pentecostal Ecclesiology: The Church and the Five-fold Gospel, J. C. Thomas, ed. Blandford Forum, Dorset, UK: Deo., 2010.
- “R. A. N. Kydd, Healing Through the Centuries: A Critical Review,” Journal of Pentecostal Theology 16 (April 2000): 117-127.
- “ ‘And the Signs Are Following’: Mark 16.9-20 - A Journey Into Pentecostal Hermeneutics” Co-authored with John Christopher Thomas. Journal of Pentecostal Theology 11.2 (April 2003): 147-170.
- “Three Hundred Years of Holiness and Healing”. Asbury Theological Journal Vol. 58, No. 2 (Fall 2003): 57-77.
- “How Wide Thy Healing Streams Are Spread”. Asbury Theological Journal Vol. 59. No. 1 (Spring 2004): 63-76.
- “Matters of Conscience, Matters of Unity, Matters of Orthodoxy: Trinity and Water Baptism in Early Pentecostal Theology and Practice”. Journal of Pentecostal Theology 17:1 (October 2008): 48-69.
- “Pentecostalism” in Encyclopedia of Religion in America. Washington, D.C.: CQ Press, 2010.
Pentecostal Healing: Models of Theology and Practice. Blandford Forum, Dorset: Deo, 2006.
- Women in Pentecostal Leadership (with R. Hollis Gause). Cleveland, TN: Center for Pentecostal Leadership and Care, 2006.
“Race and Gender Equality in a Classical Pentecostal Denomination: How Godly Love Flourished and Foundered”. Co-authored with James P. Bowers in Godly Love: Impediments and Possibilities, edited by Amos Yong and Matthew T. Lee. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books.
- Society for Pentecostal Studies Presidential Address: “Standing at the Crossroads: The Battle for the Heart and Soul of Pentecostalism” in Pneuma.
- “Spirit Baptism, Socialization and Godly Love in the Church of God (Cleveland, TN)” co-authored with James P. Bowers, Mark J. Cartledge in Pentecostudies.
Academic Memberships and Affiliations:
American Academy of Religion
- Society for Pentecostal Studies, Immediate Past-President
- Wesleyan Theological Society
- Editorial Board, Aldersgate Papers, Australian Centre for Wesleyan Research