Antipas L. Harris
Assistant Professor of Practical Ministry;
Director of the Youth and Urban Renewal Center
Web site: theurbancircle.net
Antipas Harris' Intro Video
- DOCTOR OF MINISTRY
Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts
- MASTER OF SACRED THEOLOGY
Yale Divinity School, New Haven, Connecticut
- MASTER OF DIVINITY
Emory University Candler School of Theology, Atlanta, Georgia
- BACHELOR OF ARTS
LaGrange College, LaGrange, Georgia
- Church and Ministry
- Ministry Leader: Lifestyle and Leadership Skills
- Preparation of Biblical Messages
- Pulpit Ministry
- Pastoral Theology
- Study Tour: NY Urban Immersion
- Urban Pastoral Leadership
- Rebuilding the City of God in Urban America
- Study Tour: DC Ministry & Theological Excursion
- Spiritual Formation II
- Church and Society
- Urban Ministry
- Practical Theology
- Ministry of Music and Arts
- Ministry and Church Leadership
- Scholarly Publications
- The Cross, The Spirit, The Community: A Practical Theology of Urban Ministry (current research).
- Holy Spirit, Holy Living: A Practical Theology of Holiness for Twenty-first Century Churches (Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock, 2013).
- Lee Roy Martin, editor, "Holiness, the Church, and Party Politics: Toward a Contemporary Practical Theology of Holiness," pp. 221-241. In The Future of Holiness: Pentecostal Perspectives (Cleveland, TN: CPT Press, 2013).
- "The Spirit and the Prophetic Church: Building Ministry Coalitions for Urban Ministry," In Pneuma Review, (forthcoming).
- Vinson Synan, editor, "A Prophetic Challenge for the Future of Urban Churches: a call for a revised ecclesiological superstructure," pp. 417-454. In Spirit-empowered Christianity in the 21st Century: Insights, Analysis, and Future Trends from World-Renowned Scholars (Lake Mary, FL: Charisma House, 2011).
- For Such a Time as This: Re-imaging Practical Theology for Independent Churches. Asbury Theological School Series (Lexington, KY: Emeth Academic Press, 2010).
- Afe Adogame, et al, editors, "Elements of African Religious Spiritual Practices in African American worship: Resounding Practical Theological Implications." In Christianity in Africa and the African Diaspora: The appropriation of a scattered heritage (London; New York: Continuum Press, 2009).
- "The Ordination of Women: An Issue among 'Spirit-filled' Churches from the African Diaspora," 2003. Available here.
- Popular Publications
- "Let the Church Cry, 'Holy'!" In Life Enrichment Ministries Magazine (pp. 1-5), Fall/ Winter, Volume 24, Issue 4, 2012.
- "Overcoming the Insurmountable: Reflections on Urban Haiti-Post 2010 Earthquake." In Empower Magazine (pp. 17-19), October/November, Issue 2, 2010.
- Sheri Smith Clayborn (editor), "I Feel Like Pressing My Way!" In Pressing My Way through Lent: Wednesday, February 17 through Saturday, April 3, 2010. Columbus, Ohio: St. Paul African Methodist Episcopal Church.
- Book Reviews
- Worship across the Racial Divide: Religious Music and the Multiracial Congregation, Gerardo Marti, Oxford University Press, 2012; Pneuma (forthcoming).
- The Spirit in Worship-Worship in the Spirit, Teresa Berger and Bryan Spinks, eds.
Collegeville, MN: Liturgical Press, 2009; Pneuma 34, 2012.
- Preaching the Gospel of Mark: Proclaiming the Power of God, Dawn Wilhelm. Review of Biblical Literature [http://www.bookreviews.org] 2010.
- Perspectives on Spirit Baptism: Five, Chad Owens Bran, editor, Pneuma: Spring 2009.
- Crisis in the Village: Restoring Hope in African American Communities, Robert M. Franklin, Religious Studies Review, Vol. 35, 2008.
- Mission in Acts: Ancient Narratives in Contemporary Context, Maryknoll: Orbis Books2004, Pneuma, Fall 2004.
- Music Productions
- A-7, Self-titled, Triple A Entertainment, 2006
- A-7, AKA A-Boyz, The Project, MNM Entertainment, 2003
- A-Boyz, Hold On, MNM Entertainment, 2000
Awards and Honors
- International Top 100 Magazine, 2012
- Inside Business Top 40 Under 40 of Hampton Roads, 2011
- Wall of Outstanding Alumni, LaGrange College, 2011
- Who's Who among America's Colleges and Universities
- Omicron Delta Kappa Honors Society (inducted member since 1997)
- American Award, Scholarship in Biblical Greek, 1997
- Certificate of Recognition, World Method Evangelism Institute
- Certificate of Recognition, California State Assembly
- Resolution from Memphis City Council
- A-7, Gospel Choice Music Awards, "Don't Walk Away," Song of the Year, 2006
- "Don't Walk Away" Charted, Top 30 on Billboard
- "A Revival of Passion and Pride-Black in America, Coping with Racism." Panelist; Association of Black Psychologists (ABPsi); Regent University, Virginia Beach, Virginia, February 19th, 2013.
- "'Lifelong Learners;' the Annual Family Enrichment Conference." Panelist; NSU Women's Economic Development Center; Norfolk State University, Norfolk, Virginia, November 17th, 2012.
- "Leading As A Woman in 21st Century Ministry;" Twenty-first Century Women in Ministry Conference. Regent University, Virginia Beach, Virginia, October 13th, 2012.
- "Higher Education at Regent University:" ACT NOW: Empowering Next Generation Leaders Forum. Urban League of Hampton Roads Young Professionals; Norfolk, Virginia, June 23rd, 2012.
- "A Biblical Worldview;" A church-wide panel discussion about God and the everyday life of the believer in the church and society. Calvary Revival Church Peninsula; Newport News, Virginia, April 29th, 2012.
- "Where I am from and Where I am Now-A Look at Racial Co-existence in Hampton Roads;" A city-wide panel discussion about Race, Ethnic, and Heritage issues; Sponsored by the FBI Academy Alumni Association. Virginia Beach, Virginia, April 28th, 2012.
- "Naughty or Nice: Why do Good Girls Like Bad Boys?-A Hip-hop Symposium." Tidewater Community College; Virginia Beach, Virginia, February 7th, 2012.
- Harris, A., Panel Discussion: "Justice Jubilee: A Conversation about Human Trafficking." Old Dominion University; Norfolk, Virginia, January 11th, 2012.
- "Annual Black Family Panel." Calvary Revival Church-Peninsula: Newport News, Virginia, February 2010.
Unpublished Academic Papers, Selected Lectures, Responses and Presentations
- "Practicing Holiness in the Obama Era and Beyond: Towards a Practical Theology of Holiness for the 21st Century Church," Paper Presentation; Society of Pentecostal Studies Annual Meeting, held in conjunction with the Wesleyan Theological Society, and hosted by Seattle Pacific University; Seattle, WA, March 23, 2013.
- "Mediated Pneumatic Praxis: A Contribution to Practical Theology" by Mark Cartledge. A Paper Response. Society of Pentecostal Studies Annual Meeting, held in conjunction with the Wesleyan Theological Society, and hosted by Seattle Pacific University; Seattle, WA, March 21, 2013.
- "For Such a Time as This: Is This My Time?;" Twenty-first Century Women in Ministry Conference. Lecture; Regent University, Virginia Beach, Virginia, October 13th, 2012.
- "Church as Prophet: The Churches, the Spirit, and the City." Paper Presentation; Society of Pentecostal Studies; Regent University; Virginia Beach, Virginia, March 1st, 2012.
- "The Future and Vitality of the African and African American Spirit Empowered Churches in Africa." Paper Presentation; Empowered 21: Global Congress on Holy Spirit Empowerment in the 21st Century (Converge 21 USA): Regent University; Virginia Beach, Virginia, March 2nd, 2012.
- "The Psalter for Songwriters: A Critical Review of the Psalms as Contemporary Inspiration for Songwriters." Seminar Presentation, "Worship & Songwriting Seminar Series: Psalms, Hymns and Spiritual Songs:" Regent University; Virginia Beach, Virginia, September 17th, 2011.
- "Prophesy to the Dead Bones: Developing Ministries that Transform Urban Communities." Seminar Presentation, the 97th Annual Hampton Ministers Conference, Hampton University: Hampton, Virginia, June 2011.
- "The Role of Community in Revitalizing Youth." Seminar Presentation, Virginia Gang Prevention Partnerships, Vineyard Community Church: Virginia Beach, Virginia, August 2011.
- "The Church and the Urban Struggle: Yesterday and Tomorrow; A Prophetic Challenge for the Future of Urban Churches: A Call for a Revised Ecclesiological Superstructure." Paper Presentation, Empowered 21: Global Congress on Holy Spirit Empowerment in the Twenty-first Century: Oral Roberts University; Tulsa, Oklahoma, April 2010.
- "World Religions & the Great Commission: Towards a Renewal Approach to Missions Conference." Paper Response, Regent University School of Divinity: Virginia Beach, Virginia, Winter 2010.
- "Elements of African Religious Spiritual Practices Increasingly Accepted among African American Worship Services: Resounding Practical Theological Implications." Paper Presentation; African Christian Diaspora Conference: Frankfurt Oder, Germany, 2003.
Conferences, Worships, Selected Speeches and Sermons
- "Moving Beyond the Mountain: A Talk for Young Aspiring Leaders." Motivational Speech, Students African American Brothers (SAAB); Tidewater Community College; Virginia Beach, Virginia, March 19th, 2013.
- "A Speaking Life." Speech, Christian Way Academy; Annual Founder's Day Celebration, Manchester, Georgia, January 27th, 2013.
- "Hope Unborn: the Blight of Abortion in African American Communities." Lecture, Crisis Pregnancy Center, Virginia Beach, Virginia, January 12th, 2012.
- "Intentional Evangelism." Lecture, Annual Southeastern Evangelism Conference, United Holy Churches of America: Goldsboro, North Carolina, November 2011.
- "Introductory Lectures on the New Testament and Theology." Lecture, Church of God in Christ, 2nd Jurisdiction Christian Education Department: Held at Founder's Inn, Virginia Beach, Virginia, October 2011.
- "Release for Peace: A Message on Forgiveness." Sermon, Wesleyan University (Protestant Chapel), Middletown Connecticut, October 2011.
- "Urban Outreach and Church Growth." Seminar Lecture, Solid Rock Full Gospel Baptist Church General Conference: Held at Founder's Inn, Virginia Beach, Virginia, spring 2011.
- "Leadership in the Urban Church." Lecture, Pleasant Grove Baptist Church: Virginia Beach, VA, December 2010.
- "Urban Evangelism in the 21st Century and the Church in Modern Times Seminar." Lecture, United Holy Church Southern District Convocation: Goldsboro, NC: Winter 2010.
- "Biblical Integration and Character Development in Urban Disciplining Seminar." Lecture, The Dream Center: Los Angeles: CA: Fall 2010.
- "Urban Education Orientation and Biblical Integration in Education." Workshop Presenter, Calvary Christian School System Teachers Retreat: Norfolk, Virginia, September 2010.
- "The Church: Her Leadership and Her Worship (Past, Present and Future)." Lecture, Pleasant Grove Baptist Church Leadership Conference: Virginia Beach, Virginia, 2009.
- "Embracing Life: The Treasures of the Good Book." Lecture, Lecture Series on Embracing Life at Calvary Revival Church: Norfolk, Virginia, 2009.
- "Jesus Christ: The Same, Yesterday, Today, and Forever." Sermon, Conference on Evangelism of Germany and Africa, Waldbröl, Germany: Spring 2006.
- "To Be Young, Gifted, and Saved." Speech, Educating, Embracing, and Empowering Youth: Making an Impact on Our Urban Communities, Urban Impact Summit: Mashantucket, Connecticut 2004-2005.
- "Faith and the Courtroom: Maintaining Faith as an Aspiring Lawyer." Speech, Black Law Student Association, Southern Regional Annual Conference: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, 2004.
- "Exploring a Possibility of Studying Science through Lenses of Faith." Lecture, Morehouse College Ronald McNair Scholars Program: Atlanta, Georgia, 2003.
- "The Songwriter as Theologian, History of Black Gospel Music, and Contemporary Levites in God's House." Lecture, Michel "Moses" Mathis and Berklee College of Music Choir Conference: Boston, Massachusetts 2000-2001.
- FBI Citizens' Academy, Member
- American Academy of Religion, Member
- Society of Pentecostal Studies, Member
- COGIC Scholars, Member
- Alpha Zeta Phi chapter of Alpha Phi Omega, Member
- Delta Omicron International Music Fraternity, Member
- Lead Pastor, Circle of Grace Church, Norfolk, VA
- Ordained Elder, Holiness-Pentecostal Church
- Evangelist, Holiness-Pentecostal Church
- Licensed, Holiness-Pentecostal Church