Visiting Professor of Theology
Estrelda Alexander's Audio Intro
- Ph.D., The Catholic University of America
- M.Div., Wesley Theological Seminary
- M.A., Columbia University
- B.A., Howard University
- African American Renewal History
- African American Religious Experience
- Religion and Social Issues
- Systematic Theology 1
- Systematic Theology 2
- Contemporary Theology
- The Holiness-Pentecostal Movement
- Feminist Theology in Biblical Perspective
I would welcome working with doctoral students in these and related areas.
- Political Theology
- Pentecostal Theology and History
- Religion and Race
- Women in Christian Movements
- Social Justice
Essays and Journal Articles
- "Amanda Berry Smith," "Ida Robinson" and "Garfield T. Haywood" in From Aldersgate to Azusa Street: Wesleyan, Holiness & Pentecostal Visions of the New Humanity, Harold Knight, ed. Nashville: Abingdon Publications, 2011.
- Recovering Black Theological Thought in the Writings of Early African American Holiness- Pentecostal Leaders in Steven Studebaker and Michael Wilkerson, ed., The Liberating Spirit: Pentecostals and Social Action in North America, Eugene, OR: Pickwick Publications, 2011.
- Women in Pentecostal and Charismatic Churches in Karen O'Connor, ed., Gender and Women's Leadership. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications, 2010.
- "In the Name of the Gospel: Mutuality: The Voice of Christians for Biblical Equality, 16:3, Fall 2009
- "Race Relations" and "The Role of Women" Encyclopedia of Pentecostal and Charismatic Christianity. Stanley M. Burgess, ed., New York: Rutledge, 2007.
- "The Role of Women in the Azusa Street Revival," The Azusa Street Revival and its Legacy. Harold D. Hunter and Cecil M. Robeck, eds. Cleveland, TN: Pathway Press, 2006.
- "Prophesying daughters: Black women preachers and the world, 1823-1913" [Review Article] Pneuma 26:2 [Fall 2004], 362-365.
- "Portraits of a Generation: Early Pentecostals Leaders" Review Article, COGIC Scholars Newsletter, 2004
- Thomas P. O'Connor, Dean R. Hoge & Estrelda Alexander "The Relative Influence of Youth and Adult Experiences on Personal Spirituality and Church Involvement" Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion: 414 [Dec. 2002], 723-732.
- "Conversion and Sanctification in Nineteenth Century African American Wesleyan Women Leaders" Ken Collins, ed., Conversion in the Wesleyan Methodist Tradition, Nashville, TN: Abingdon Press, 2001.
- Contributor: Promises of God for Women of Color, Atlanta, GA: Nia Publications, 2001.
- "Healing Word" Homily Service, Monthly Resource of the Liturgical Conference, 31:11, February, 1999.
- Contributor: Women of Color Study Bible, Atlanta, GA: Nia Publications, 1999.
- "What Does It Mean to Be Happy?" Homily Service, Monthly Resource of The Liturgical Conference, January, 1998
- "Liturgy in Non-Liturgical Holiness-Pentecostalism," Wesleyan Theological Journal, Fall 1997
- Black Fire: One Hundred Years of African American Pentecostalism, Wheaton, IL: InterVarsity Press, 2011.
- Alexander, Estrelda and Amos Yong, AfroPencostalism: The Shifting Strategies and Changing Discourses of Afropentecostalism, New York: New York University Press, 2011.
- Amos Yong and Estrelda Alexander, Phillip’s Daughters Women in Pentecostal-Charismatic Leadership, Eugene, OR: Wipf & Stock, 2008.
- Limited Liberty: the Life and Legacy of Four Pentecostal Women Pioneers. Pilgrim Press, Forthcoming Fall 2007.
- The Women of Azusa Street, Cleveland, OH. Pilgrim Press, 2006.
- Black Fire Reader: African American Pentecostal History in their Own Voice, Eugene OR: Wipf & Stock, 2011.
- Bibliography of Pan-African Pentecostalism, Lewistown, NY: Mellen Press, 2012
- Dictionary of Pan-African Pentecostalism, Eugene, OR: Wipf & Stock, 2013
- What Doth The Lord Require: Toward A Pentecostal Theology of Social Justice in David Moore and Christ Emerick, eds., Festschrift in Honor or Vinson Synan, Cleveland, TN: CPT Press, 2010.
- "Women” and "Race Relations" in 50 Essential Terms for Understanding Pentecostalism Northern Illinois University Press.
- Executive Director, Seymour Afro-Pentecostal Archive
- Executive Editor, Journal of Pan-African Pentecostalism
- Editor- in-Chief, Dictionary of Pan-African Pentecostalism
Academic Memberships and Affiliations
- American Academy of Religion
- Co-founder and President, Association of Full Gospel Women Clergy
- Society for Pentecostal Studies, Past President
- Editorial Board, Journal of Pentecostal Theology
- Ordained minister, Church of God (Cleveland, TN).