Vice President for Human Resources
“Regent students learn more than what they are taught in their coursework. They also learn by observing and interacting with Regent employees, who are real-life role models of excellence, innovation and integrity in the workplace.”
Leadership in Human Resources
- Responsible for leading the university's strategic management of its human resources as a vital part of overall marketplace competitiveness.
- Develops and implements strategies to establish and maintain a healthy and positive workplace environment for faculty, staff and students.
- Develops university-wide personnel policies and procedures to improve organizational effectiveness.
- Oversees all record keeping and procedural functions required to ensure that employment, compensation, benefits, safety, personnel and equal opportunity policies and practices comply with applicable criteria of accrediting agencies, governmental agencies, and federal and state labor laws.
- Supervises the benefits manager and the director of employment services.
Ms. Martha Smith
Ms. Smith has led the Human Resources Department since 1983. She is responsible for managing and implementing the overall organizational strategy of Regent University's faculty and staff. As a liaison between faculty, staff, and the university, Ms. Smith's role is essential in policy facilitation, program development and training.
She holds her Juris Doctorate (JD) from the Regent University School of Law and M.A. in Management from the Regent University School of Business & Leadership. Ms. Smith has been certified as a Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) by the Human Resources Certification Institute since 2001.
Active in the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) since 1985, she has held various leadership roles, including Hampton Roads SHRM chapter president in 1992 and 1993, president of the Virginia SHRM State Council in 2001 and 2002, and district director for the Eastern District of the Virginia SHRM State Council in 2008 and 2009. Ms. Smith has also been an active member of the College and University Professional Association for Human Resources (CUPA-HR) for many years. As a participant in her local community, Ms. Smith has served on the board of directors for Guardian Federal Credit Union in Portsmouth, VA since 2008.